Crews shut down the entire Blanchette Bridge for about an hour Sunday while a portion of the westbound span of the bridge was detonated.
A second blast is planned for after Thanksgiving and will be visible from the St. Charles riverfront.
The Blanchette Bridge is undergoing major reconstruction that's expected to last until fall 2013.
"This is vital work that we need to do to keep I-70 a viable cross country corridor, but we can do that in a way that will keep the businesses functioning and get commuters to work," MoDOT Area Engineer Ed Hassinger said. "We're going to do this really fast."
See More on Patch
- MoDOT to Limit Lane Closures Memorial Day Weekend
- Blanchette Bridge Closing for 1-Hour Tuesday
- Man Who Fired Shots at Car Three Times Charged, Police Say
- Week In Review: Water Main Break Slows Traffic, Pattonville Has Missouri's Best Dancers
- Crime Roundup: Assault Rifle and Ammo Stolen From Car, Tip Jar Stolen and More
Most Popular articles
- Woman Lured Man to Hotel Room Where He Was Stabbed and Robbed, Police Say
- Bridgeton Landfill Odor, Concerns Rise in the Area
- Manager Embezzled $243,277 From Bridgeton Company to Fund Gambling Habit, Police Say
- Police Remind Residents to be Diligent After West County Rapes
- Mugs in the News: The Faces that Made This Week's Crime Headlines