Lt. Gov. Kinder: Why is Bridgeton Still Waiting for Disaster Money?
Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder is filing a Freedom of Information request to find out where funds meant for the City of Bridgeton, which was left devestated following the Good Friday tornado in April 2011, have gone.
In the letter sent to Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon, Missouri Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder and House Speaker Pro Tem Shane Schoeller are asking, “Why, a year after FEMA these funds to Missouri, is Bridgeton still waiting for some of its money? Please give us and Bridgeton officials assurance that the remaining $308,000 will be sent immediately," the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting.
That's part of a new Freedom of Information request Kinder is filing in regards to Bridgeton, which was left devestated following the Good Friday tornado in April 2011.
From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
In today’s news release, Kinder notes that an unnamed Bridgeton official told the lieutenant governor’s office that the city was still waiting on SEMA to release its money. City administrator Thomas Haun didn’t respond to an email or call from the Post-Dispatch for comment today.
“Bridgeton went through all the proper channels, jumped over every bureaucratic hurdle and through every hoop to get FEMA to cut a check, only to have the state hang on to their money. It’s outrageous, and Gov. Nixon and SEMA need to explain what has happened to Bridgeton’s disaster funding,” Kinder said.
Kinder is chairman of the new Interim Committee on Disaster Preparedness, Response and Recovery created earlier this year and Schoeller is vice chairman.
At an Aug. 1 meeting, the committee voted unanimously to ask Nixon to release the funds immediately.
For more on this story, read the story in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.